Old State Flag/Capital Eagle

tbaydog

All-American
Feb 25, 2008
2,953
5,414
113
Was driving through downtown Jackson over the weekend for the first time in 30 years. On State Street going South, look up and saw the Gold Eagle on top the Capital..... Facing South. Where's the uproar of this versus the old state flag. I do understand/accept the flag uproar.........
 

anon1787432961

Heisman
Mar 4, 2008
15,854
14,328
113
Texas capital too, installed by the MS National Guard helicopters several years back

In order to do this properly all states would need to point toward Kansas or something, the center of the US, lol

I think South first, South preferred, focus on the South is still ok
 

GloryDawg

Heisman
Mar 3, 2005
20,658
19,411
113
The eagle is facing south and not north and the reason was South First. Most people do not know or have not noticed. What about the Robert E Lee hotel. It was being used by the State. Do they still use it and is it still called the Robert E Lee hotel. I don't know how true it is and never really looked at the Woolfolk building. I always heard that it has sun flowers on it but it was suppose to have magnolia. The reason why is the guy who designed the building also design another building for the state Kansas and it was suppose to have the sunflower but it ended up with Magnolia flower. Something along that story. Don't know if it is true or not.
 

Xenomorph

Heisman
Feb 15, 2007
16,128
10,672
113
Dorman Hall faces north. We should probably do something about THAT.
 

Reunion Dog

Redshirt
Aug 26, 2012
193
1
0
True about Woolfolk building. Use to work in there... Prior to redoing building they had old time elevators that actually had folks to operate them... Would close the gate behind you and open for you... Yes Robert E. Lee building still used by State... At one time was a grand a hotel as the King Edward and The Peabody...
 

horshack.sixpack

All-American
Oct 30, 2012
12,148
9,485
113
I wonder if any other state converts old hotels into poorly conceived office space for state agencies at the rate that MS does?
 

wsjmsu75

Junior
Sep 29, 2017
2,421
210
63
I wonder if any other state converts old hotels into poorly conceived office space for state agencies at the rate that MS does?

i know all about that. Worked at MDHS, as an IT contractor, for about 24 years at their state office in what used to be the Sheraton Hotel on State Street. The place was a dump, and that's putting it mildly. Before I retired, they moved the majority of personnel (including me) to a different downtown office building.
 
Last edited:

horshack.sixpack

All-American
Oct 30, 2012
12,148
9,485
113
Small world. I've worked with them in both buildings as well. The move to the new was...abrupt...
 

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,178
5,721
113
I wonder if any other state converts old hotels into poorly conceived office space for state agencies at the rate that MS does?
Kind of a hijack, but how many states manage to have a ****** capital city despite the advantages of having the seat of state government located there?

Haven't spent much time in Montgomery and it's been a while, but it seemed similar to Jackson. Haven't really spent time in downtown Baton Rouge. The only part of Tallahasee I've been in seemed like a **** hole but haven't seen enough to be a fair judge. Is it common to manage to have all that money flowing through and still not have something nice for it? I mean, I guess a lot of the jobs tend to not be great paying, but they're still solid and stable jobs. Seems like it would be pretty hard to not manage a decent area around the capital and government buildings with those advantages, but maybe I'm missing something.
 

horshack.sixpack

All-American
Oct 30, 2012
12,148
9,485
113
Project based IT consultant. Various services and equipment. Had a cube on the first floor on state street for a while.
 

RotorHead

Senior
Mar 26, 2019
718
603
93
Kind of a hijack, but how many states manage to have a ****** capital city despite the advantages of having the seat of state government located there?

Haven't spent much time in Montgomery and it's been a while, but it seemed similar to Jackson. Haven't really spent time in downtown Baton Rouge. The only part of Tallahasee I've been in seemed like a **** hole but haven't seen enough to be a fair judge. Is it common to manage to have all that money flowing through and still not have something nice for it? I mean, I guess a lot of the jobs tend to not be great paying, but they're still solid and stable jobs. Seems like it would be pretty hard to not manage a decent area around the capital and government buildings with those advantages, but maybe I'm missing something.


Can't speak to other Capitals, Montgomery is very similar to Jackson. Nothing but shadows of the past when driving through them. The topic of Jackson is a sore spot for me as I sit outside the city limits and watch the leadership pound it into the ground. Growing up around Jackson was one thing, now that I've lived in other areas, I was slightly sad that I had to move back. Not even that I've lived in major cities (except San Diego), everywhere has ****** spots within downtown (except HSV). But when the city government is more 17ing concerned with a zoo or having more parks/recreational areas and less concerned about the plethora of other plagues choking the city...I have no sympathy. Jackson will not be resuscitated until a major paradigm shift occurs within, more than likely have to be from the bottom up. And, lesbehonest....that's not going to happen anytime soon.
 

Mobile Bay

All-Conference
Jul 26, 2020
4,242
2,184
113
Kind of a hijack, but how many states manage to have a ****** capital city despite the advantages of having the seat of state government located there?

Haven't spent much time in Montgomery and it's been a while, but it seemed similar to Jackson. Haven't really spent time in downtown Baton Rouge. The only part of Tallahasee I've been in seemed like a **** hole but haven't seen enough to be a fair judge. Is it common to manage to have all that money flowing through and still not have something nice for it? I mean, I guess a lot of the jobs tend to not be great paying, but they're still solid and stable jobs. Seems like it would be pretty hard to not manage a decent area around the capital and government buildings with those advantages, but maybe I'm missing something.

Growing up here Montgomery was nice. But then the old mayor retired. The one who would have employed Robocop if he could. After that people started leaving for Prattville, and later Wetumpka and Millbrook. It's to the point now where I have more coworkers that live in Auburn than live in Montgomery. Those folks mostly voted republican. So over time the city police force became less and less funded, less and less supported, understaffed and demoralized. Now crime has gotten ridiculous. Don't believe the stats. The last administration did a lot of handwaving to try and hide how bad it is. The new mayor is a narcissistic jackass and the son of quite possibly the most corrupt person in the history of Alabama. So it's only going to get worse.

And when Richard Shelby leaves office, I fully expect them to close our Air Force base because it's falling down around itself. Which would be the end.

Baton Rouge is nice IMO. Tallahassee isn't bad. But it's **** hole areas are real dumps. I stayed in an Air BnB near campus when we last played in a regional there. It reminded me of the pre Dan Camp Cotton District.
 

wsjmsu75

Junior
Sep 29, 2017
2,421
210
63
Project based IT consultant. Various services and equipment. Had a cube on the first floor on state street for a while.

Wow. Did you ever have any involvement with Maverics? That was the eligibility application I was assigned to, for analysis and programming support.
 
Last edited:

Mobile Bay

All-Conference
Jul 26, 2020
4,242
2,184
113
I wonder if any other state converts old hotels into poorly conceived office space for state agencies at the rate that MS does?

Not Alabama. Here the state retirement fund builds super nice buildings and rents them back to the state.
 

GloryDawg

Heisman
Mar 3, 2005
20,658
19,411
113
Kind of a hijack, but how many states manage to have a ****** capital city despite the advantages of having the seat of state government located there?

Haven't spent much time in Montgomery and it's been a while, but it seemed similar to Jackson. Haven't really spent time in downtown Baton Rouge. The only part of Tallahasee I've been in seemed like a **** hole but haven't seen enough to be a fair judge. Is it common to manage to have all that money flowing through and still not have something nice for it? I mean, I guess a lot of the jobs tend to not be great paying, but they're still solid and stable jobs. Seems like it would be pretty hard to not manage a decent area around the capital and government buildings with those advantages, but maybe I'm missing something.

Just like a lot of large cities. The tax base has moved to suburbs. Also most State Capitals are separate entities than the cities "They are in the city but not part of the city". Many have own police force and give money the city for fire protection and road work.
 

NTDawg

Senior
Mar 2, 2012
2,272
943
113
The front of the building is the south side the and the north is the back of the building. Just saying
 
Aug 22, 2012
2,761
1
31
And when Richard Shelby leaves office, I fully expect them to close our Air Force base because it's falling down around itself. Which would be the end.

As long as the air war college is at Maxwell, it will not be closed. Pretty much anyone who wants to be anything in the air force spends a little time in Montgomery.
 

Mobile Bay

All-Conference
Jul 26, 2020
4,242
2,184
113
As long as the air war college is at Maxwell, it will not be closed. Pretty much anyone who wants to be anything in the air force spends a little time in Montgomery.

Except it's having a hard time getting instructors. The base school is only like k-4 or something. After that the Montgomery public schools are basically warzones except for the magnet programs. The problem is with the magnet programs it's almost impossible to get in them except in 1st, 7th, or 10th grade (HS starts at tenth grade in Montgomery)

Most that come leave their kids at home. Those that do bring them don't live in Montgomery.

Because of this there has been serious talk of moving the schools there including Air War College and Air Command and Staff College.
 

maroonmadman

Senior
Nov 7, 2010
2,530
853
113
Just like a lot of large cities. The tax base has moved to suburbs. Also most State Capitals are separate entities than the cities "They are in the city but not part of the city". Many have own police force and give money the city for fire protection and road work.

It isn't just the tax base moving to the suburbs, look out on Hwy. 80, N State St., and Boling St. Lots of former industry with shuttered doors. Presto, Westinghouse, Armstrong, Frito-Lay all used to have plants in Jackson bringing in jobs and revenue. Most of these starting leaving after NAFTA went into effect. if Jackson is to recover then it needs to attract some industry.
 

RotorHead

Senior
Mar 26, 2019
718
603
93
I'm not as business minded as some of you savvy individuals, but if I were the head of a corporation looking to branch out, Jackson would quickly find itself in the "no" pile.
 

RocketDawg

All-Conference
Oct 21, 2011
20,059
2,812
113
I expect he will do better than expected. Word I hear is he is a face for the Bob Riley machine.

He would almost have to do better than expected. The only Republican who couldn't have beat the incumbent was Roy Moore.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Unpacking Mississippi State's offensive unraveling against Alabama
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football "Learning Moments": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby speaks on rough outing for QB Kamario Taylor
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football "We let ourselves down": Isaac Smith and Anthony Evans III speak on Mississippi State's defeat to Alabama
  4. 04 Maroon and White Rapid Recap: No. 7 Alabama 56-23 No. 16 Mississippi State
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football Live Updates: Mississippi State vs. Alabama