Looks like we’re missing on CJ Johnson

Ranchdawg

All-Conference
Dec 13, 2012
4,735
4,013
113
Got an overview of that department from one of the professors on a recent visit. State is growing organ tissues in their labs for implants, working on 3D printing of organs and getting some really intelligent students to stay in state for these research projects. Most go on to get physician degrees from Duke, Harvard and Northwestern.
 

Hump4Hoops

Redshirt
May 1, 2010
6,611
13
38
"military obligation" isn't exactly a small deal.

Serious question. If the academic reputation angle is the most important factor for Johnson why not just stick with the Naval Academy? You can't really get a better education than Annapolis. Is it the military obligation that's the issue going there?

Maybe he sat on it a while and decided that life wasn't for him. I'm glad there's some brave men and women that choose to server, but I would never in a million years want to myself, regardless of the education offered.
 

maroonmania

All-Conference
Feb 23, 2008
11,354
1,143
113
Maybe he sat on it a while and decided that life wasn't for him. I'm glad there's some brave men and women that choose to server, but I would never in a million years want to myself, regardless of the education offered.

Never said that it was and I'm certainly in no way criticizing him if that was his reason for decommitting. That is a major life decision. Its just that with all of this talk about NW and Duke educations, he had a really good one already lined up. I originally was thinking he likely was decommitting from Navy because he had the opportunity to play for his favorite school. Apparently not. But yes, if you got a medical degree from the Navy I assume you would be obligated to work in a Navy hospital as a Naval officer for a certain period of time.
 

ZombieKissinger

All-American
May 29, 2013
5,588
9,682
113
I'm friends with two guys who did undergrad at the Naval Academy then became doctors. One was a fighter pilot and did his service before med school, so he didn't have an obligation, but he's still in the reserves. The other went straight to med school, and his service didn't start until after. Both of them loved it, but it's a long *** time to commit yourself to something
 

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,178
5,721
113
Damn. What is your commitment if you go to the naval academy and then go to medical school? And does your commitment start while you're doing residency? Or do you have to complete residency and fellowship, if you do one?

That'd be a hell of a long time to wait to get to make money. I guess getting medical school paid for is worth it, but if you're going to be a doctor, the naval academy is probably overkill.
 

Wizard.sixpack

Freshman
Sep 15, 2009
6,511
58
48
That’s a little disappointing. Both parents are alumni, he grew up a MSU fan and coming to games. Plus, he’s from an hour down the road.

This staff has done a nice job having backup plans though. We’ll see which way they pivot.

Where have I seen this thread title before????*** Flashbacks
 

ZombieKissinger

All-American
May 29, 2013
5,588
9,682
113
I knew some from my friends' cases, but I read a little more about it because I didn't know for sure. Apparently the Naval Academy limits the number who can go to med school right out of college at 2%. One of my friends served first, so he didn't have an obligation, but he got his med school covered afterward and had some kind of obligation in the reserves -- not sure what it was because he was planning on doing reserves anyway. My other friend went to an Ivy med school right out of college, got it covered, and collected a monthly stipend of around $2000. That added 4 years to his commitment (I think 9 total), and residency didn't count toward the obligation. He was planning to stay with the military all along, though.

If you want to be a doctor, it sounds like the naval academy is the wrong way to go, unless you want to stay with the military after. You can make enough to pay for school in less time than the commitment (usually... assuming you're not buying **** you shouldn't), and there are jobs that can pay for loans for most specialties. The VA system has a program where you can get up to $40k per year for 5 years paid without any commitment. My loans were $270k, and they're taken care of in less than 3.5 years, though about $100k of that is through employer. And you can also refinance them for a great rate these days and invest excess money and probably make more that way, just wouldn't go all in on gamestop
 

WilCoDawg

All-Conference
Sep 6, 2012
5,264
3,654
113
I don’t know. My point is that it doesn’t matter about undergrad if one applies themselves. Dr. Sills proves that.
Does going to Northwestern mean he’ll excel in life while going to MSU doesn’t?
 

Drebin

Heisman
Aug 22, 2012
22,523
27,493
113
I don’t know. My point is that it doesn’t matter about undergrad if one applies themselves. Dr. Sills proves that.
Does going to Northwestern mean he’ll excel in life while going to MSU doesn’t?

I'm sure Dr. Sills would tell you he was lucky, or was in the right place at the right time. And as I said elsewhere, sure, you can go to State, go on to medical school, and become a great doctor. What I'm saying is not a dig against State in the least. But if you have a free ride to Northwestern or Duke on the table, a degree from those schools are going to open more doors and give you more opportunity than a degree from State. That's just simple fact and it's okay as a State fan to admit it.
 

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,178
5,721
113
You don’t get a medical degree from the navy or naval academy.

I don't think anyone thought the naval academy has a medical school. But I think you can get your medical school paid for in exchange for a commitment to stay in the Navy (just like you can get just about any professional degree paid for in exchange for a commitment), although I have no clue how competitive it is to do get that deal.
 

ZombieKissinger

All-American
May 29, 2013
5,588
9,682
113
There’s a military specific medical school (not just navy), but the guys I know just went to traditional med schools and got them paid for by the military. 2 of the 3 did it after serving, going straight out of a service academy is very competitive
 

patdog

Heisman
May 28, 2007
60,494
31,717
113
On average, a degree from Northwestern is gonna take you a hell of a lot further than a degree from Mississippi State will. I can't believe this is even being debated.
 

WilCoDawg

All-Conference
Sep 6, 2012
5,264
3,654
113
Well, if we’re going to just make assumptions, I’m going to say he’d say it wasn’t luck, but hard work that got him to where he is. He went to MSU and then Johns Hopkins for med school. That’s no small feat. Smart people do that jump all the time.
I’m not going to argue that a degree somewhere else wouldn’t open more doors. It absolutely does. My point, again, is that having a successful career isn’t precipitated solely by where one’s degree is earned. Anyone, with hard work, can reach great heights from whatever school. Even Tim Cook went to a state school and is now the Apple ceo.
 

Ralph Cramden

Redshirt
Jan 7, 2020
2,696
0
0
But honestly I know the thoughts are that we have to get a DB but if they can't find a decent one I hope they grab the best whatever is available. DL, LB OT, whatever. I mean we still have Furdge and Richardson on the bench
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
Where have I seen this thread title before????*** Flashbacks
Hard to believe it's been a decade. That was the first class that Mullen let slip away due to job shopping. Lost Hud and Diaz, and he was out trying to talk to Florida and Miami.

https://247sports.com/Season/2011-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool&State=MS

That was the class that brought Ole Miss back. Wonder if Freesus will ever admit that it was Houston Dale that jump started his program?

And yes, our 2011 class ended up being good as far as production, but you can't tell me that Johnson, Whitehead, one of Brassell/Singleton, and Brown wouldn't have made our team better, and they were all right there for us at one point. We had literally ALL the momentum and ended up signing some no-names on NSD due to the misses.
 

Ralph Cramden

Redshirt
Jan 7, 2020
2,696
0
0
As far as DBs all I have seen mentioned is Craig and Bridges and it sounds like Auburn and SC may beat us out for those two guys. Hard to imagine picking SC over State tho. Or really even Auburn.
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
But honestly I know the thoughts are that we have to get a DB but if they can't find a decent one I hope they grab the best whatever is available. DL, LB OT, whatever. I mean we still have Furdge and Richardson on the bench
Agree. I think we have 2021 taken care of anyway with Forbes, Emerson, Texas guy, Peters and Morgan, along with the other guys for depth. A freshman won't likely help that effort.

We can always hit the portal or JUCO next year. Go get the best player available within reason (obviously we don't really need another tailback or quarterback).
 

GloryDawg

Heisman
Mar 3, 2005
20,657
19,410
113
I don't really see it as a miss on our part. When you're carrying a 35 ACT, you want to be a doctor, and you're getting full ride offers from Northwestern, Duke, and Vanderbilt, loving MSU becomes secondary. I think it says a lot about how much he and his family loves State that we were in it to the 11th hour and he agonized over the decision.

Didn't the 4 star QB Bucannon (spelling error) out of prep chose Ole Miss over Duke. Did not last long at Ole Miss. He probably could have been a starter at Duke.
 

Drebin

Heisman
Aug 22, 2012
22,523
27,493
113
Well, if we’re going to just make assumptions, I’m going to say he’d say it wasn’t luck, but hard work that got him to where he is. He went to MSU and then Johns Hopkins for med school. That’s no small feat. Smart people do that jump all the time.
I’m not going to argue that a degree somewhere else wouldn’t open more doors. It absolutely does. My point, again, is that having a successful career isn’t precipitated solely by where one’s degree is earned. Anyone, with hard work, can reach great heights from whatever school. Even Tim Cook went to a state school and is now the Apple ceo.

I never said you couldn't be successful with an undergrad from state. But if your choices are state or northwestern and both of them are free, most people serious about their academics and their future careers are going to northwestern. This isn't even debatable so I don't know why your panties are in a bunch over it.
 

deltadawg63

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2012
38
0
0
It appears that we are having a lot of difficulty committing a decent DB. I believe it’s due to not being able to provide a starting slot with who we have returning at CB and evidently we don’t attract transfers without a clear starting spot.
 

maroonmania

All-Conference
Feb 23, 2008
11,354
1,143
113
It appears that we are having a lot of difficulty committing a decent DB. I believe it’s due to not being able to provide a starting slot with who we have returning at CB and evidently we don’t attract transfers without a clear starting spot.

This is perhaps the flimsiest excuse I've ever heard of in the recruiting game. We are down to mid to lower level 3 star HS recruits and they are wanting assurances of early playing time in the SEC to be willing to commit and sign with us? What mid-level 3 star is expecting to play a ton of minutes in the SEC as a true FR or even a redshirt FR anyway? Sorry, I just don't buy that. Our coaching staff has just done a very, very poor job recruiting if we can't get ANY of these guys to take the scholarship offer in a signing class nearly devoid of any other competition at their positions in the secondary. Now getting older guys out of the transfer portal that makes more sense, but the transfer portal is the only place we've actually gotten a good DB from so far.
 
Last edited:

FISHDAWG

Redshirt
Dec 27, 2009
2,077
0
36
Hard to believe it's been a decade. That was the first class that Mullen let slip away due to job shopping. Lost Hud and Diaz, and he was out trying to talk to Florida and Miami.

https://247sports.com/Season/2011-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool&State=MS

That was the class that brought Ole Miss back. Wonder if Freesus will ever admit that it was Houston Dale that jump started his program?

And yes, our 2011 class ended up being good as far as production, but you can't tell me that Johnson, Whitehead, one of Brassell/Singleton, and Brown wouldn't have made our team better, and they were all right there for us at one point. We had literally ALL the momentum and ended up signing some no-names on NSD due to the misses.

Mullen absolutely torched Whitehead the next year at Auburn and CJ never hurt us much - I think OM even moved him to DE ... Brassell / Singleton I don't remember much about so they must not have hurt us too bad.
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
Mullen absolutely torched Whitehead the next year at Auburn and CJ never hurt us much - I think OM even moved him to DE ... Brassell / Singleton I don't remember much about so they must not have hurt us too bad.
I don't know if they hurt us, but they damn sure would have helped us (which is what I said - YOU said hurt). And they all would have been better players (especially Johnson and Whitehead) under Mullen than they were at Ole Miss.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Unpacking Mississippi State's offensive unraveling against Alabama
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football "Learning Moments": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby speaks on rough outing for QB Kamario Taylor
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football "We let ourselves down": Isaac Smith and Anthony Evans III speak on Mississippi State's defeat to Alabama
  4. 04 Maroon and White Rapid Recap: No. 7 Alabama 56-23 No. 16 Mississippi State
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football Live Updates: Mississippi State vs. Alabama