Howland replacement candidates

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,178
5,721
113
☝I hated the NBA taking High School players, but now I hate the one or two years and done. I think that move has hurt College basketball the most.

Just go back to taking the best right out of high school and make a scholarship in all college sports a contract for 4 years. Give them a reasonable stipend along with the full ride, and if they leave before the 4 years then they have to pay only the Stipend back. Make sure the lawyers on both sides check the legality of the contract like any other contract, crossing all the I’s and dotting all the T’s.

The one and done thing was a terrible deal for college basketball. That said, it won't be much better as long as players leave the first time they show NBA promise. The NBA picking up the MBL rule would be great for college basketball and the NBA. Let players that just want to be pro go the D-league route (or straight to the pros if they're good enough). Make players that enroll ineligible for the NBA or D-Leage for three years (or until whatever birthday; whichever comes first). This would be good for the NBA because they'd get to offload some development to the NCAA, and also they'd pick up some more affluent fans as college basketball fans followed former players to the NBA. It'd be good for the NCAA because it'd let them actually develop some teams while also not wasting time with players that have zero interest in college. It'd be good for the NBA players union because it would cut down on the competition coming down the pipe for a little while.

Amazingly, the NBA players union fights against age limits. Possibly the only union in the US that will not do what's in their personal interest just because they want to do the right thing.
 

Dawgg

Heisman
Sep 9, 2012
10,535
10,793
113
Honestly, I'd be willing to give Kennedy a shot at this point.

He's local and knows the area.
He's still fairly young (52).
He OVERachieved at Ole Miss.

Really, in that reptilian part of my brain, there would be no end to the joy it would bring me to watch Lafayette County melt down if he were actually successful here.

Is Uber and/or Lyft setup in Starkville, yet? We'll need to keep him away from taxis, otherwise, I'd be willing to throw a couple of years at him.


ETA: You specifically, almost myopically, complain often about the lack of fan support and attendance for men's basketball. You can't tell me that matchup between Kennedy and Kermit, with all of the storylines that led to that point, wouldn't have an electric atmosphere or at least be something that would arouse enough interest and curiosity to bring some new/renewed eyeballs. Now, Kennedy has to win once that happens, but the initial story will bring attention to the program.
 
Last edited:

thekimmer

All-Conference
Aug 30, 2012
8,853
2,988
113
The one and done thing was a terrible deal for college basketball. That said, it won't be much better as long as players leave the first time they show NBA promise. The NBA picking up the MBL rule would be great for college basketball and the NBA. Let players that just want to be pro go the D-league route (or straight to the pros if they're good enough). Make players that enroll ineligible for the NBA or D-Leage for three years (or until whatever birthday; whichever comes first). This would be good for the NBA because they'd get to offload some development to the NCAA, and also they'd pick up some more affluent fans as college basketball fans followed former players to the NBA. It'd be good for the NCAA because it'd let them actually develop some teams while also not wasting time with players that have zero interest in college. It'd be good for the NBA players union because it would cut down on the competition coming down the pipe for a little while.

Amazingly, the NBA players union fights against age limits. Possibly the only union in the US that will not do what's in their personal interest just because they want to do the right thing.

I agree and its even more ridiculous that they do this in a league where its 10x harder to make it than MLB or NFL. We really haven't had any 1 and done but how many have we had that left with eligibility remaining and didn't even get drafted. I suppose there is more opportunity to make a living playing basketball overseas than other sports although they won't likely get rich doing it.
 

thekimmer

All-Conference
Aug 30, 2012
8,853
2,988
113
Honestly, I'd be willing to give Kennedy a shot at this point.

He's local and knows the area.
He's still fairly young (52).
He OVERachieved at Ole Miss.

Really, in that reptilian part of my brain, there would be no end to the joy it would bring me to watch Lafayette County melt down if he were actually successful here.

Is Uber and/or Lyft setup in Starkville, yet? We'll need to keep him away from taxis, otherwise, I'd be willing to throw a couple of years at him.


ETA: You specifically, almost myopically, complain often about the lack of fan support and attendance for men's basketball. You can't tell me that matchup between Kennedy and Kermit, with all of the storylines that led to that point, wouldn't have an electric atmosphere or at least be something that would arouse enough interest and curiosity to bring some new/renewed eyeballs. Now, Kennedy has to win once that happens, but the initial story will bring attention to the program.

I hear you but sorry....nope just can't do that. Not my decision of course but I just can't think about someone the way I did AK and switch it off like that.
 

mstateglfr

All-American
Feb 24, 2008
16,886
6,695
113
Not sure he’d come but I’d take Kelvin Sampson

Yeah for sure. That should be a given for 60% of the P5 teams at any given moment.
He is a strong recruiter, teams consistently play sound basketball, he has NBA coaching experience, and his violations were so dumb that they became legal shortly after he was punished.
 

paindonthurt_

All-Conference
Jun 27, 2009
9,528
2,046
113
They already get a reasonable stipend.

What is reasonable?

College athletes have it way easier FINANCIALLY than every other college student minus a few wealthy ones.
 

MSUDC11

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2012
7,316
0
0
His teams did not underachieve. He was recruiting to a leaky gym and a fan base that didn't care and didn't provide booster support. Kennedy is not a great coach, but he did a good job constantly stitching together teams at Ole Miss. I'd be interested to see how he performed at a school that gave him any support. Not sure we'd be any different at this point than what he had at Ole Miss, but I assume we still have a little more booster support.

But you are correct that he probably wouldn't be much of an upgrade from Howland as far as results.

He struck gold with Marshall Henderson and Stefan Moody, otherwise he never makes an NCAA tourney. Those two transfers working out kept him from being fired a lot sooner that he ended up getting canned.

Sure, the Tad Pad must have been awful to recruit to, but it's not like he never had good players. Henderson, Moody, Murphy Holloway, Terrico White, Chris Warren, Sebastain Saiz, Zach Graham, Dwayne Curtis, David Huertas, etc. And he mostly had multiple of those guys on the same teams, yet consistently struggled to make the tournament. OM had a stretch under Rob Evans and Rod Barnes where they made five NCAA Tourneys in six years so it's not like OM was incapable of getting to the tournament. Yet Andy only went to two in twelve years.
 

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,178
5,721
113
Fair enough but it's not like that was his one bad moment. Like, do you have any idea how awful person has to be to get fired at Wichita St after leading them to 7 NCAA appearances including a Sweet 16 and a Final 4 run?

If he's interested, I'm willing to see if he has grown as a person.
 

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,178
5,721
113
He struck gold with Marshall Henderson and Stefan Moody, otherwise he never makes an NCAA tourney. Those two transfers working out kept him from being fired a lot sooner that he ended up getting canned.

Sure, the Tad Pad must have been awful to recruit to, but it's not like he never had good players. Henderson, Moody, Murphy Holloway, Terrico White, Chris Warren, Sebastain Saiz, Zach Graham, Dwayne Curtis, David Huertas, etc. And he mostly had multiple of those guys on the same teams, yet consistently struggled to make the tournament. OM had a stretch under Rob Evans and Rod Barnes where they made five NCAA Tourneys in six years so it's not like OM was incapable of getting to the tournament. Yet Andy only went to two in twelve years.

How many of those players you mentioned were recruited by anyone? Chris Warren was passed over by everybody else. Some of those players were pretty good but how many of them make you think they should ahve made the tournament? Henderson was one of the best and he came with significant drawbacks to say the least.
 

dorndawg

Heisman
Sep 10, 2012
9,355
10,682
113
If he's interested, I'm willing to see if he has grown as a person.

It's not like he cheated a little for recruits or the petty cash drawer came up short. Coaching high level college basketball is a mighty big privilege, and I'm a-ok with physically assaulting players being a career-ender.
 

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,178
5,721
113
It's not like he cheated a little for recruits or the petty cash drawer came up short. Coaching high level college basketball is a mighty big privilege, and I'm a-ok with physically assaulting players being a career-ender.

We are on the same page. Any coach that assaults a player without winning at least, like 8 NCAA tournament game first should be done for life. You have to draw the line somewhere.
 

Dawgg

Heisman
Sep 9, 2012
10,535
10,793
113
I hear you but sorry....nope just can't do that. Not my decision of course but I just can't think about someone the way I did AK and switch it off like that.

I get it, but our baseball stadium is named after a former Ole Miss coach.
 

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,178
5,721
113
I hear you but sorry....nope just can't do that. Not my decision of course but I just can't think about someone the way I did AK and switch it off like that.

The international incident was pretty bad, and I cringed at the way he dressed, but I never really disliked Kennedy. Maybe I'm different from most State fans, but I usually don't hate their coaches. The beaver was really the only one, and that was more about his fake christian schtick and being dirty. I didn't hate Nutt. I didn't hate Orgeron. Bianco is a non issue. Didn't hate Rob Evans and thought Barnes was a good guy, just a better No2 than head coach. The fact that he coached at Ole Miss just wouldn't bother me at all.
 

patdog

Heisman
May 28, 2007
60,513
31,749
113
If he could win a couple of NCAA tournament games for us, I could get past that real quick. Honestly, I didn't like him when he was their coach, but I thought he did a good job with SEC Network and was always very fair to us. I used to know his brother and he's a really nice guy. Kennedy is killing it at UAB. I'd be OK with hiring him if he continues to do well there.
 

DAWG61

Redshirt
Feb 26, 2008
10,111
0
0
Marshall has 11 tourney wins, 1 final four and is infinitely better as a HC than Andy Kennedy.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State PFF Grades from 56-23 loss to Alabama
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Anthony Evans III posts highest PFN WR grade of Week 5
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Standout Stats: No. 7 Alabama 56-23 No. 16 Mississippi State
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football Unpacking Mississippi State's offensive unraveling against Alabama
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football "Learning Moments": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby speaks on rough outing for QB Kamario Taylor