Friday Observations from a Former Coach

NeighborhoodDawg

All-Conference
Oct 21, 2019
1,213
1,448
113
Hey guys, I am in my first year of being out of baseball. I have spent the last six years coaching at various places from the D1 to the D3 levels and my entire life before that playing. Now that I get to actually be a fan and have time to focus on my Bulldogs, I thought I'd share what I see. Being at the game tonight was something I was super excited about. First game with a full house, first sec series at home, Top ranked Arkansas coming to our house. I'll be honest, I expected a lot more fire and grit from our team and I didn't think we had any at all tonight.

1.) he Hr's in the first inning were strictly on McCleod. Each hr he gave up was a lob over the middle of the plate. I'm talking mid 80's, belly button high beach balls that Arkansas rocked. It just looked like he missed his spots and you can't do that against a team like Arkansas. Luckily, I thought he did a great job coming back out and kind of settling in that groove but we have got to stop having him freak out in the first inning every game.

2.) Christian Franklin is a beast. However, he only had one HR. I was dead even with the left field line and the ball was clearly foul. The field umpire that called it a HR clearly lost the baseball the dark and guessed. Cheese asked LT if it was fair or foul and LT shrugged and pointed fair. Not that it would have made any difference but I wish we fought for more calls going our way instead of being "ho-hum" about all of them that don't.

3.) Arkansas' SP was and is very, very good. However, he is not the best pitcher we will see this year. I'm not even including Rocker or Leiter when I say that because they are the obvious top dogs in the league. He made it look effortless all night. How many times are we going to whine to the umpire and take the low fastball when it was a strike all night long? The only player that made the adjustment to go down and hit it was Rowdy on his RBI single. The rest of us continued to take it knowing it was going to be called and then wanted to say something to the ump. Your job as a hitter is to find what the ump likes and is calling and make the adjustment to it. It doesn't matter if it's 2 feet outside. You can't complain if the ump is consistent and while the fastball was being called very low tonight, we have got to adjust to it and at least give an effort to beat it.

4.) Chase Patrick coming in, having a guy picked off by 20 feet, deciding to shuffle his feet, double clutch and make an awful throw to the right side of second only to have the guy score on the next pitch was par for the course tonight. There was some guy sitting close to me that was giving Patrick absolute hell for that 10 pitches later. It was kind of funny. I chalked that up to him being shocked that the runner was that far off the bag and him being nervous. Also, he's a junior and I have never heard his name before tonight. maybe I missed him but I had know idea who he was. Does have a solid stache though.

5.) We can hit average-slightly above average pitching. When it comes to the elite staffs: Arkansas, Vandy, UF, USC, they make us look foolish at the plate. Tonight was all arm swings and rollovers and it was embarrassing. The approach was non existent and I say that as more of a see ball, hit ball coach. Even then, you still have to have an approach and it looked like our approach was take the low fast ball for a strike, swing and miss at the slider, and then nub a grounder off the end of the bat . The ball sounded different coming off of the Hog's bats because they were hitting every single thing on the screws. Idk what it will take for our offense but there better be a major overhaul before we get to deep into SEC play.

6.) Shift. As a defensive coach myself, the shift is a great tool to use when you KNOW the batter only hits it to one side. However, you are not supposed to rely on the shift when you have a top tier pitching staff. I think we overplay the shift and do not use it very strategically. It almost has a feel like we are just doing it to say we did it. It beat us in the past, it beat us tonight, and it will continue to beat us in the future. I'm not saying the shift is bad or that we should stop doing it. I'm just saying idk which coach is calling the plays for it but you have to be a little smarter situationally when you use it.

7.) I was severely disappointed in our team tonight. Where was the energy? Where was the pride and the grit? You're telling me that we get #1 vs. #2 at our home field of Dudy Noble, we up the attendance to give us that historic atmosphere, it's the team that swept us last time and rubbed our faces in it, First SEC home series in two years, It's packed, the fans are loud, crazy, and excited and our team can't even muster some piss and vinegar? I get your down 3-0 almost immediately but instead of coming out ready to fight after that, we come out and arm swing at balls two feet out of the zone. We played like we didn't care and for that to be the case given the surrounding circumstances really burns my a$$ (as Lane Burroughs used to say). Also look what he has La Tech doing if you haven't kept up. He may very well be our next coach in the future.

The best thing I saw tonight was Lane Forsythe's single through the right side to break up the no-no. He came to the plate knowing they threw him outside all day and he said "enough is enough" and took that pill the other way. That's making an adjustment. Plus he's a Fr. When a Fr can make an adjustment and a veteran senior can't, what's that say?

Also, Dear Scotty Dubrule, Jacksonville U is not the damn SEC son. Get it together or it may be time to let someone else have a go. He looks lost vs. SEC pitching.

Bold Prediction: At the start of this season, I said we would make it to the play in game for the national title based on our pitching staff and the veteran's in the lineup. Now? If we do not make the necessary adjustments at the plate and put our big boy panties on, I don't see us making it out of a regional. Especially with how stacked the mid major teams are this year. The regionals are going to extremely tough. It is no longer a gimme game when it's 1 vs 4. That 4th seed is going to be damn good. I expect a much better approach from us tomorrow and I expect a win tbh. I think Bednar is our best pitcher right now. Hopefully he shows that tomorrow.
 
Feb 23, 2008
1,708
0
0
Thanks for the insight. Post more often. You nailed every single point. I thought that ball was foul also but ultimately it didn't matter unfortunately. As for #7, that's what struck me also. I'm afraid this team doesn't have the leadership that's necessary. Yeah Rowdey, Allen, and Hatcher have played quite a bit of ball but they aren't exactly setting examples with their AB's.
 

Dawgcap

Redshirt
Mar 7, 2017
944
0
0
It almost felt we conceded the game after their first at bat. We coached it and played it like we were down way worse late in a game. I don’t understand how you almost give in that quickly. Felt our coaches gave up tonight early and our players followed their lead. That’s not how you coach champions.
With that being said it felt we are all in for tomorrow.
 

The Peeper

Heisman
Feb 26, 2008
16,696
12,424
113
I don't know why anyone expects us to hit SEC pitching when we've not handled non conference stuff this year. It's been talked about all season, even in winning 2 last weekend we didn't hit the rock well
 

Dawgcap

Redshirt
Mar 7, 2017
944
0
0
Hey guys, I am in my first year of being out of baseball. I have spent the last six years coaching at various places from the D1 to the D3 levels and my entire life before that playing. Now that I get to actually be a fan and have time to focus on my Bulldogs, I thought I'd share what I see. Being at the game tonight was something I was super excited about. First game with a full house, first sec series at home, Top ranked Arkansas coming to our house. I'll be honest, I expected a lot more fire and grit from our team and I didn't think we had any at all tonight.

1.) he Hr's in the first inning were strictly on McCleod. Each hr he gave up was a lob over the middle of the plate. I'm talking mid 80's, belly button high beach balls that Arkansas rocked. It just looked like he missed his spots and you can't do that against a team like Arkansas. Luckily, I thought he did a great job coming back out and kind of settling in that groove but we have got to stop having him freak out in the first inning every game.

2.) Christian Franklin is a beast. However, he only had one HR. I was dead even with the left field line and the ball was clearly foul. The field umpire that called it a HR clearly lost the baseball the dark and guessed. Cheese asked LT if it was fair or foul and LT shrugged and pointed fair. Not that it would have made any difference but I wish we fought for more calls going our way instead of being "ho-hum" about all of them that don't.

3.) Arkansas' SP was and is very, very good. However, he is not the best pitcher we will see this year. I'm not even including Rocker or Leiter when I say that because they are the obvious top dogs in the league. He made it look effortless all night. How many times are we going to whine to the umpire and take the low fastball when it was a strike all night long? The only player that made the adjustment to go down and hit it was Rowdy on his RBI single. The rest of us continued to take it knowing it was going to be called and then wanted to say something to the ump. Your job as a hitter is to find what the ump likes and is calling and make the adjustment to it. It doesn't matter if it's 2 feet outside. You can't complain if the ump is consistent and while the fastball was being called very low tonight, we have got to adjust to it and at least give an effort to beat it.

4.) Chase Patrick coming in, having a guy picked off by 20 feet, deciding to shuffle his feet, double clutch and make an awful throw to the right side of second only to have the guy score on the next pitch was par for the course tonight. There was some guy sitting close to me that was giving Patrick absolute hell for that 10 pitches later. It was kind of funny. I chalked that up to him being shocked that the runner was that far off the bag and him being nervous. Also, he's a junior and I have never heard his name before tonight. maybe I missed him but I had know idea who he was. Does have a solid stache though.

5.) We can hit average-slightly above average pitching. When it comes to the elite staffs: Arkansas, Vandy, UF, USC, they make us look foolish at the plate. Tonight was all arm swings and rollovers and it was embarrassing. The approach was non existent and I say that as more of a see ball, hit ball coach. Even then, you still have to have an approach and it looked like our approach was take the low fast ball for a strike, swing and miss at the slider, and then nub a grounder off the end of the bat . The ball sounded different coming off of the Hog's bats because they were hitting every single thing on the screws. Idk what it will take for our offense but there better be a major overhaul before we get to deep into SEC play.

6.) Shift. As a defensive coach myself, the shift is a great tool to use when you KNOW the batter only hits it to one side. However, you are not supposed to rely on the shift when you have a top tier pitching staff. I think we overplay the shift and do not use it very strategically. It almost has a feel like we are just doing it to say we did it. It beat us in the past, it beat us tonight, and it will continue to beat us in the future. I'm not saying the shift is bad or that we should stop doing it. I'm just saying idk which coach is calling the plays for it but you have to be a little smarter situationally when you use it.

7.) I was severely disappointed in our team tonight. Where was the energy? Where was the pride and the grit? You're telling me that we get #1 vs. #2 at our home field of Dudy Noble, we up the attendance to give us that historic atmosphere, it's the team that swept us last time and rubbed our faces in it, First SEC home series in two years, It's packed, the fans are loud, crazy, and excited and our team can't even muster some piss and vinegar? I get your down 3-0 almost immediately but instead of coming out ready to fight after that, we come out and arm swing at balls two feet out of the zone. We played like we didn't care and for that to be the case given the surrounding circumstances really burns my a$$ (as Lane Burroughs used to say). Also look what he has La Tech doing if you haven't kept up. He may very well be our next coach in the future.

The best thing I saw tonight was Lane Forsythe's single through the right side to break up the no-no. He came to the plate knowing they threw him outside all day and he said "enough is enough" and took that pill the other way. That's making an adjustment. Plus he's a Fr. When a Fr can make an adjustment and a veteran senior can't, what's that say?

Also, Dear Scotty Dubrule, Jacksonville U is not the damn SEC son. Get it together or it may be time to let someone else have a go. He looks lost vs. SEC pitching.

Bold Prediction: At the start of this season, I said we would make it to the play in game for the national title based on our pitching staff and the veteran's in the lineup. Now? If we do not make the necessary adjustments at the plate and put our big boy panties on, I don't see us making it out of a regional. Especially with how stacked the mid major teams are this year. The regionals are going to extremely tough. It is no longer a gimme game when it's 1 vs 4. That 4th seed is going to be damn good. I expect a much better approach from us tomorrow and I expect a win tbh. I think Bednar is our best pitcher right now. Hopefully he shows that tomorrow.

Such an accurate description!
 

MetEdDawg

Redshirt
Aug 22, 2012
522
0
0
#5 was my issue. We had no approach tonight at the plate. Took a lot of very hittable 1st pitch strikes tonight and swung at a lot of not good pitches. Didn't see the ball well tonight and it looked like we wanted to walk. DeBrule verified that for me in his second AB when he quickly threw hit bat towards the dugout on that 3-1 pitch that was clearly a strike.

This lineup is one of our weaker ones in the last decade and doesn't have anyone in it I trust consistently. Friday nights against good teams will be difficult to score a lot of runs. We didn't seem aggressive when the count called for it and I saw a lot of whippy swings. Tanner Allen had a few.

Need to regroup with better approaches and better mentality tomorrow.
 

Reunion Dog

Redshirt
Aug 26, 2012
193
1
0
You forget to add that the majority of this team is getting HAMMERED in the Cotton District tonight.

That in itself is another par for the course...
 

bully12

Senior
Sep 2, 2012
1,710
774
113
You forget to add that the majority of this team is getting HAMMERED in the Cotton District tonight.

That in itself is another par for the course...

This is very telling. Will Clark, etc. could get away with that kind of stuff in his day and still get after it the next day; these guys ain't close to being in his league.
 

Maroonthirteen

Redshirt
Aug 22, 2012
1,975
0
0
That's the biggest disappointment from last night. Is the fact the stage looked to big for this team and they were deer in the headlights. I get the moment was big for the freshmen. However Today is the day for the seniors to step up, lead and show some grit.
 

basedawg

Senior
Aug 22, 2012
1,037
813
113
Good post, I said same thing about the bats and Arkansas hitting solid shots and the sound of the ball coming off their bats to ours. We have such a weak hitting lineup and it's concerning, to me Luke Hancock is the guy who hits the ball solid or hard. Logan, Hancock, Rowdy, James and Allen have got to get going, hopefully today is a different ballgame than what I saw last night!

Great crowd, and yes I thought our players had that laid back approach while Arkansas was fired up!
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
Agree, our hitters are not tough at all. Need to get some guys in there that want to play. I think it starts with putting Dubrule on the bench and playing Leggett.
 

MSUDC11

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2012
7,316
0
0
I think we probably over-analyze things too much this time of year. We had a bad game on the mound and at the plate and because of that we got smoked by one of the better teams in the country. It happens.

Everybody watching knows what our strengths as a team are and what our weaknesses are. No amount of tinkering with the lineup is going to drastically change who we are. Yes, we can do some things to make improvements and I'm sure we will. But we will go as far as our pitching staff carries us and then will just need to have some situational hitting in key spots.

Spare me the talk about our team not having pride or toughness though. Sometimes you just play poorly. We pride ourselves on being a great baseball fanbase, let's maybe be an intelligent one and not overreact to the situation as it is in March. There is not a thing that could happen this weekend, including getting swept, that will ruin our season. We are ranked in the Top 3 for a reason, and whether we bounce back this weekend or if it doesn't happen until later, I feel confident that this team will be fine in the long run.
 

bruiser.sixpack

Redshirt
Aug 13, 2009
7,346
0
0
I think we probably over-analyze things too much this time of year. We had a bad game on the mound and at the plate and because of that we got smoked by one of the better teams in the country. It happens.

Everybody watching knows what our strengths as a team are and what our weaknesses are. No amount of tinkering with the lineup is going to drastically change who we are. Yes, we can do some things to make improvements and I'm sure we will. But we will go as far as our pitching staff carries us and then will just need to have some situational hitting in key spots.

Spare me the talk about our team not having pride or toughness though. Sometimes you just play poorly. We pride ourselves on being a great baseball fanbase, let's maybe be an intelligent one and not overreact to the situation as it is in March. There is not a thing that could happen this weekend, including getting swept, that will ruin our season. We are ranked in the Top 3 for a reason, and whether we bounce back this weekend or if it doesn't happen until later, I feel confident that this team will be fine in the long run.

There are trends that are developed 20 games into a 56 game season. Those trends are quite obvious with this group. They struggled to hit non-con pitching and they struggle to hit SEC pitching.

But.... Arkansas had 4 Seniors, 3 Juniors, a Sophomore, and a Freshman in their line up last night. State had 4 upper-class men starting. Their Freshman is a legit 3 hole hitter. Their lead off guy just returned in the last couple of weeks and has started slow but he is legit.

The leaders we had last year moved on. The leaders they had last year came back.

There are three to four legit Omaha type teams in the SEC right now. The obvious two are Arkansas and Vandy. The next two are Florida and Ole Miss. Of these 4, only Vandy struggles at the plate like we do, but they essentially have 2 guaranteed wins every weekend. We thought we did too. Unfortunately we got smoke and mirrors last year with McLeod having success in the Non-Con. And I believe the Cerantola experiment is over. So 2 of the 3 pitchers we were counting on can’t get it done consistently and our upperclassmen cannot hit their weight.

State can still be an NCAA team, but a drastic change has to occur with the hitting. Remember a few years ago when start started out red hot, was ranked in the Top 5, and then barely held on to a winning record and made the tourney and actually made some noise? That is a possibility with this team. Don’t give up...... yet.
 

maroonmania

All-Conference
Feb 23, 2008
11,354
1,143
113
Embarrassing part is we only had 4 hits all of last night (all singles), and 2 of those were from our FR SS who we put in for defense and really expected no offense from. That is not going to cut it. We have too many hitters that should be experience SEC guys that are just not producing.
 

MSUDC11

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2012
7,316
0
0
There are trends that are developed 20 games into a 56 game season. Those trends are quite obvious with this group. They struggled to hit non-con pitching and they struggle to hit SEC pitching.

But.... Arkansas had 4 Seniors, 3 Juniors, a Sophomore, and a Freshman in their line up last night. State had 4 upper-class men starting. Their Freshman is a legit 3 hole hitter. Their lead off guy just returned in the last couple of weeks and has started slow but he is legit.

The leaders we had last year moved on. The leaders they had last year came back.

There are three to four legit Omaha type teams in the SEC right now. The obvious two are Arkansas and Vandy. The next two are Florida and Ole Miss. Of these 4, only Vandy struggles at the plate like we do, but they essentially have 2 guaranteed wins every weekend. We thought we did too. Unfortunately we got smoke and mirrors last year with McLeod having success in the Non-Con. And I believe the Cerantola experiment is over. So 2 of the 3 pitchers we were counting on can’t get it done consistently and our upperclassmen cannot hit their weight.

State can still be an NCAA team, but a drastic change has to occur with the hitting. Remember a few years ago when start started out red hot, was ranked in the Top 5, and then barely held on to a winning record and made the tourney and actually made some noise? That is a possibility with this team. Don’t give up...... yet.

Our recipe for success is simple, just don’t fall behind early. We are lethal when playing with a lead. All five of our losses having been games where we’ve had to play from behind pretty much from the jump.
 
Last edited:

hogfan14

Freshman
Mar 28, 2013
376
87
16
There are trends that are developed 20 games into a 56 game season. Those trends are quite obvious with this group. They struggled to hit non-con pitching and they struggle to hit SEC pitching.

But.... Arkansas had 4 Seniors, 3 Juniors, a Sophomore, and a Freshman in their line up last night. State had 4 upper-class men starting. Their Freshman is a legit 3 hole hitter. Their lead off guy just returned in the last couple of weeks and has started slow but he is legit.

The leaders we had last year moved on. The leaders they had last year came back.

There are three to four legit Omaha type teams in the SEC right now. The obvious two are Arkansas and Vandy. The next two are Florida and Ole Miss. Of these 4, only Vandy struggles at the plate like we do, but they essentially have 2 guaranteed wins every weekend. We thought we did too. Unfortunately we got smoke and mirrors last year with McLeod having success in the Non-Con. And I believe the Cerantola experiment is over. So 2 of the 3 pitchers we were counting on can’t get it done consistently and our upperclassmen cannot hit their weight.

State can still be an NCAA team, but a drastic change has to occur with the hitting. Remember a few years ago when start started out red hot, was ranked in the Top 5, and then barely held on to a winning record and made the tourney and actually made some noise? That is a possibility with this team. Don’t give up...... yet.

Yeah it sucked losing Heston Kjerstad but this is a very veteran team for Arkansas, lots of JUCOs. Next year may be a pretty big rebuilding year with all the potential departures.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Will Mississippi State's secondary be the difference on Saturday?
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State sells out Davis Wade Stadium for 2nd week running
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Week 5 Preview: Who Carries the Load?
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Week 5 Preview: Alabama Q&A
  5. 05 Maroon and White Mississippi State’s Isaac Smith and Fluff Bothwell “Probable” on initial SEC availability report