where those respective sports were at their highest stature in program history. We fired one and Nikki McCray ain’t looking too swift.
Looks more and more like a sabotage job from inside. Did you see the free throw stats? Awful. Basketball players have to try hard to miss that many free throws. And Mia Taylor has taken too much of a leadership role for her talent level.I understand that it wasn’t realistic to expect Nikki to be Vic... but being noncompetitive with this roster is totally inexcusable. It’s one thing to lose, it’s another thing to get beat down and look like you have no pulse, especially considering we had a week and a half off and this exact thing happened in our previous game.
I think he outsmarted himself on the women’s hire
Joe checked most of the boxes and most high profile people thought he was a great hire
Turns out he wasn’t
Hiring coaches is hard.
I’m not defending Cohen FYI.
Looks more and more like a sabotage job from inside. Did you see the free throw stats? Awful. Basketball players have to try hard to miss that many free throws. And Mia Taylor has taken too much of a leadership role for her talent level.
Its difficult to be this bad with the roster we have. I could see not meeting Top 10 expectations but we are just plain out bad.
WRONG. Slop head checked hardly any of the boxes. He brought in an offensive system that we've never been able to run in our history, with a top 10 roster that was meant to run the ball. We don't have many of those in our football history, and Cohen absolutely squandered it.I think he outsmarted himself on the women’s hire
Joe checked most of the boxes and most high profile people thought he was a great hire
Turns out he wasn’t
Hiring coaches is hard.
I’m not defending Cohen FYI.
My gut tells me we lose in Oxford.
I wouldn't go that far. I'd give it next year. I know next to nothing about basketball 'systems' but I do hear a good bit that she was changing up the Xs and Os somehow. I doubt installing a new system in basketball is as drastic as football, so I would expect results in year 2.The WBB team is more perplexing than joe’s first year. We have a good team with an elite defense in joe’s first year. This basketball team is as talented as NMP will likely ever have here. If she can’t win with this team, she won’t win here.
He’s had five hires in the big sports for us, and we’ve been pretty hyped on all of them, with the possible exception of Lemonis (who I think has done a great job so far). The one thing this has shown me is that there’s a lot more to it than hiring whoever looks good to the masses, because he’s generally done that. Most people (including me) were sold on NMP and Moorhead, but neither of those hires are looking good at this point. To Cohen’s credit, he got rid of Moorhead when he needed to. I’m not a trigger happy fan, but we were going down fast, and it was obvious. I’m happy with Leach and Lemonis, fine with Howland (but need to make a tournament in the next two years), and NMP needs to show us something by next year or she may be going the route of Moorhead
Yep the deal with Cohen was that he was going to be able to make great hires that fit MSU, and with that would come winning, which would take care of a lot of the other things where Cohen was obviously going to be a novice. Well, it hasn't worked, he's made bad hires, and those bad hires came at a time when the right hire was so easy to make, and one of them was in the biggest revenue sport. To his credit, he fixed it quickly and then made another hire with a bigger pedigree within his 'vision' of being a passing offense. We will see if that works out, he's already wasted one peak year of MSU football. I'm not counting on it. I want to see Leach have at least 2 years of 10-2 level ball within 5 years to say Cohen has made up for what he wasted in 2018. IF that happens it will probably the repair the damage he's already caused, coupled with more baseball success. People will forget about women's basketball quickly. Honestly we just messed up there by losing that natty in 2018.We handed a multi million dollar business corporation to a baseball coach that didn’t come up in the admin side of things and surprise surprise his hires haven’t been great which is the one thing most expected him to know how to do based on what it takes to be a successful coach in the sec. along with that much of the rest of the things that go In to running a big athletics program have also gone down. Game days ops, marketing, etc haven’t been that great under Cohen either. This isn’t high school. You just can’t take a coach without really any real AD experience and give them the helm. It’s not going to work out.
What has Cohen done really well as AD? I know what people are going to say...and I can point out ways every single thing has been botched. I defended him when there were very few as baseball coach. Didn't like the move as AD but gave it a chance. It's not working out.
Hiring coaches is a crap shoot no matter where you are. Even when you can get the big name, sometimes they don't work out. Meyer and Saban will probably win anywhere, but you never really know. I think people expected Chip Kelly to win at UCLA.
But Cohen has some troubling tendencies, the most serious of which is he refuses to make the obvious move.
(1)The obvious move when Mullen left was to find a successful run first spread G5 HC or P5 OC. The second obvoius move was to get a Defensive coach that could deliver a successful run first spread OC. Taking a roster built to win immediately and completely changing directions so you could roll the dice on a P5 OC with no head coaching experience beyond FCS was an unnecessary risk. If it's true that his FCS school was basically the only one offering athletic scholarships, then that is an unexcusable lack of research to hire him.
(2) Not sure what the obvious move was after Moorhead, but it wasn't offering the head coaching position to a coach that (i) had never been a head coach, (ii) had never called plays, and (iii) had basically never recruited. This was close to a fireable offense to me. He did not earn the credibility to go out and take a risk like that.
(3) He did not make the obvious move and promote Vic's right hand man. I don't have a problem with this one. That's just a hard hire to make. A lot of time the right hand man fills a role to offset the HC (e.g., Stans was player friendly to offset Williams, so it can screw up the dynamics to go that way also.
Also, going after Leach was nontraditional also, and I am happy with that hire as of now, although there is still a lot of risk to it.
The only thing I will say in his defense is if you keep swinging for the fences, you will in theory eventually hit one, and if you are willing to cut your losses early enough, that's not a terrible strategy. The only problem is make a few bad hires in a row for a sport and you have really limited who will consider your program as a head coach going forward unless you give them big time money and guarantees, which is hard for us to do while also cutting our losses when needed.
If Leach works out, then Cohen will basically be safe. If you hire a really good football coach, and a good baseball coach (this only matters at MSU), you can survive a bad basketball hire (if he makes it) and honestly as much as people have gotten into women's basketball lately, that hire doesn't move the needle much. If people are happy with two out of three for the big three, then he could hire a hobo off the street for women's basketball and be fine. It only matters now because people are iffy on him for other things.
You’re being kind to not make mention of Cannizaro as well. Sure, the team was playing well, but that was still nothing short of a complete disaster of a first hire for Cohen.
There definitely wasn't an obvious candidate. There was an obvious approach.(1) I really don't think there was an "obvious" hire when Mullen left. Yes, we could have probably found someone that ran a system closer to what Mullen did but I can't point to any individual and say duh, that's who you should have hired.
Also agree about Leach. I'd give Cohen a much higher grade than this if he hadn't tried to hire Joe Judge first. And I think Joe Judge is great. I just don't think you roll the dice on somebody with no playcalling and basically no college experience.(2) With the post-Moorhead hire, I feel really good about Leach. The real risk with him is going to an offensive system that is very foreign to what we have ever done before. But if you can win at places like TT and WSU, then that is a true indicator that you should be able to also win at State. I'm also seeing good signs from Leach on the recruiting trail which was not supposed to be his strong suit. I believe Leach will win here its just a matter of seeing at what level.
(3) Really disagree with you on this one as this is the one I have the most problem with. Mullen had a good program but by no means an elite one. So not hiring someone off of his staff I didn't see as a big deal. But our WBB program was elite, if there was EVER a hire to try and continue something already built it would have been to hire Vic's right hand coach and try to keep it going. Even baseball has never been at the top level our WBB program was the last several years under Schaefer. WHY would you not want to give an opportunity to keep that going rather than bringing in a whole new staff? This one WAS the obvious move that he blew it on. Even if Harris had not worked out it would STILL have been the right move to have given it a chance because of what had already been established here that Harris had a big hand in.
Maroon and White Football
Anthony Evans III posts highest PFN WR grade of Week 5
Maroon and White Football
Standout Stats: No. 7 Alabama 56-23 No. 16 Mississippi State
Maroon and White Football
Unpacking Mississippi State's offensive unraveling against Alabama
Maroon and White Football
"Learning Moments": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby speaks on rough outing for QB Kamario Taylor
Maroon and White Football
"We let ourselves down": Isaac Smith and Anthony Evans III speak on Mississippi State's defeat to Alabama