2018 Super Regional

Jun 9, 2015
613
536
93
I could use some help from the pack. I’m in a discussion with a Vandy fan over why they got to host the 2018 super. Do I remember correctly that it was the NCAA’s decision? He’s saying that it was because they were a higher seeded 2 seed than us.
 
Jun 9, 2015
613
536
93
Update: I found a Vandy site that reported that it was an NCAA decision. I’m sure he’ll have some excuse to prove that I was wrong there as well. Their fans are impossible to deal with.
 

patdog

Heisman
May 28, 2007
60,467
31,681
113
There are no "higher" or "lower" seeded #2s. The NCAA only seeds #1 - #16. Either of us could have hosted the super, the NCAA just chose Vandy. Ask him for a link to the seeding of the #2 seeds.
 
Jun 9, 2015
613
536
93
If they rank the 2 seeds and use that as a basis, they definitely dont publicize it. No reason was ever stated.

That’s where I’m at too. He’s trying to say that better 2 seeds get put with lower hosts. I’m pretty sure after the hosts are chosen, it becomes a logistics thing.
 
Jun 9, 2015
613
536
93
Now he’s gone to “Mississippi State didn’t get it because they didn’t have working bathrooms in the stadium”
 

CochiseCowbell

Heisman
Oct 29, 2012
15,663
14,499
113
Tell that Whistler to suck your Banana!

 
May 28, 2020
1,387
0
0
There aren't official 2-seed rankings, but there is an implied pecking order. For example, the 2-seed paired with the #16 national seed is higher than the 2-seed paired with the #1 national seed. They aren't bound by this though. Vandy was slightly higher than us in that regard in 2018, and it may have been a factor. In 2007 Clemson was a slightly "higher" 2-seed than us, but we got the host. In that case I think a bigger factor was the fact that we had recently been sent to Clemson. I think it is more likely to be a factor with a big difference in pecking order. Example: The 2-seed paired with #16 is significantly higher than the 2-seed paired with #1. The 2-seeds paired with #8 and #9 are basically the same, and geography could have been a bigger factor when seeding those teams, so pecking order shouldn't be much of a factor if they both advance.
 

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,177
5,721
113
I could use some help from the pack. I’m in a discussion with a Vandy fan over why they got to host the 2018 super. Do I remember correctly that it was the NCAA’s decision? He’s saying that it was because they were a higher seeded 2 seed than us.

I suspect that was the reason even though they weren't officially higher. I at least apparently thought they were a higher 2 seed because I remember thinking it sucked that basically any other time, the NCAA would put money ahead of who had earned a home spot (see us v. 6 seed tournament in NCAA basketball tournament), but the one sport that we would consistently provide a money advantage, the NCAA decides it will forego that revenue.

Only other justification would be if we indicated we were somewhat indifferent because we wanted to go ahead and start on the stadium construction. Not sure if we did or not though.
 

patdog

Heisman
May 28, 2007
60,467
31,681
113
There's no "implied pecking order." Look at the pairing of #1 and #2 seeds. It's pretty much regional with very few exceptions usually involving teams in the midwest, which has few teams in the tournament.
 
Jun 9, 2015
613
536
93
I suspect that was the reason even though they weren't officially higher. I at least apparently thought they were a higher 2 seed because I remember thinking it sucked that basically any other time, the NCAA would put money ahead of who had earned a home spot (see us v. 6 seed tournament in NCAA basketball tournament), but the one sport that we would consistently provide a money advantage, the NCAA decides it will forego that revenue.

Only other justification would be if we indicated we were somewhat indifferent because we wanted to go ahead and start on the stadium construction. Not sure if we did or not though.

I think I remember that we were ready and able to halt the construction and have the stadium in playable shape for a super.
 

Seinfeld

All-American
Nov 30, 2006
11,622
7,849
113
They probably just dipped into their opportunity fund to pay the NCAA off just like they do to recruit
 

WrapItDog

Senior
Aug 23, 2012
4,336
791
113
Now he’s gone to “Mississippi State didn’t get it because they didn’t have working bathrooms in the stadium”

The New Dude was under construction during the 2018 Season and Regionals and was the reason I heard they went with Vandy. No idea about the bathrooms.
 
May 28, 2020
1,387
0
0
There's no "implied pecking order." Look at the pairing of #1 and #2 seeds. It's pretty much regional with very few exceptions usually involving teams in the midwest, which has few teams in the tournament.

So are you saying the first team outside the top-16 (#17 in the country) could be sent to the #1 national seed as a 2-seed? Because that is what "no implied pecking order" means. I'm not saying it isn't a loose pecking order, but the committee knows which 2-seeds were close to being 1-seeds and which ones to pair with the top national seeds. I agree there's no difference between the 24th and 25th teams, but there is a difference between the 17th and 32nd teams.
 

mcdawg22

Heisman
Sep 18, 2004
13,652
12,156
113
So are you saying the first team outside the top-16 (#17 in the country) could be sent to the #1 national seed as a 2-seed? Because that is what "no implied pecking order" means. I'm not saying it isn't a loose pecking order, but the committee knows which 2-seeds were close to being 1-seeds and which ones to pair with the top national seeds. I agree there's no difference between the 24th and 25th teams, but there is a difference between the 17th and 32nd teams.
I would say so. I guarantee you could find polls where the #17 team in one poll may be outside the top 30 in another one. If Clemson was a number 1 overall and the Chanteclers were #17 I could absolutely see Coastal going there.
 

MSUDC11

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2012
7,316
0
0
I don't think the stadium was the reason we didn't host, we'd had big crowds pretty much all year and a half built Dudy Noble is a better venue than a bunch of other places that have hosted in recent years.

They've never revealed any objective metric, but it most likely came down to the fact that Vandy swept us during the regular season. It didn't bother me (especially since we won anyway), and we were the beneficiary of a similar situation in 2007 when Clemson could've easily been picked as the host but they gave it to us.
 

dickiedawg

All-Conference
Feb 22, 2008
4,580
1,516
113
Seems like they cited “the student athlete experience” when justifying why Vandy got to host. It was pretty unclear what that meant, but we had already hosted Vandy earlier in the season so as I recall that was generally accepted as the reason.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Live Updates: Mississippi State vs. Alabama
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Last Call: Week 5 Predictions for No. 16 Mississippi State vs. No. 7 Alabama
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Keys to Victory against Alabama
  4. 04 Maroon and White No. 16 Mississippi State vs. No. 7 Alabama: How, where and when to watch the Bulldogs
  5. 05 Maroon and White Mississippi State Soccer preps for No. 11 South Carolina