Recent content by OaktonDave

  1. OaktonDave

    Did anyone else know this about the 1986 Fiesta Bowl?

    Despite some of the antics of the Miami team in the days before the game, Brown had a very good rep as a person. He and Reggie White were close while playing for the Eagles.
  2. OaktonDave

    I'm flipping

    This looks like the typical Lockley UMD team - a few early wins that make you think they might be okay, and then the loses start piling up.
  3. OaktonDave

    Film Study - PSU's Lack of Explosive Run Plays

    I liked Franklin and thought his achievements were often unfairly downplayed. His record against top tier was what it was, and I think there came a point where it was in his head and the players' heads. It happens. Bear was in Joe's head, and I watched PSU find ways to lose to 'Bama in the...
  4. OaktonDave

    Film Study - PSU's Lack of Explosive Run Plays

    That was Austin Scott's problem.
  5. OaktonDave

    Generic CFB Week 1 Games Thread, Sept 3-7

    There were a few decent games at the G5 level (JMU/Liberty was a good game), but not much from the P4 teams. VMI is a bad FCS team that was given a payday from a fellow VA school in exchange for taking a beating. Penn State played William & Mary and Brown while I was a student, so his stuff is...
  6. OaktonDave

    Official ‘26 PSU - Marshall Game Thread

    Well said; they looked exactly the way you want them to look in an early season game against an overmatched opponent.
  7. OaktonDave

    PSU guys cut in NFL

    Yes, he could definitely "spin the ball." (I'm so glad that phrase has gone out of fashion and apologize for using it.) If that was all that was all that playing QB required, Will would be a super star.
  8. OaktonDave

    PSU guys cut in NFL

    Levis is a big athletic guy with a great arm, and that's what got him drafted. Unfortunately, I tend to believe he is a slightly bigger version of Kenny Pickett and not a guy anyone wants as an NFL starter.
  9. OaktonDave

    OT: R.I.P Hayden Panettiere

    I would put Tiger in the same category. Unless every article about his upbringing is wrong, he didn't have much chance to be a kid either. Once dad saw that he had talent, dad also saw dollar signs, and doing normal kid things was no longer on the schedule.
  10. OaktonDave

    OT: R.I.P Hayden Panettiere

    It wouldn't take long to come up with a long list of people who were pushed into an adult world as children and ended up with serious emotional wounds. In the child-entertainer world, it's probably harder to come up with a list of those who didn't than those that did. Based on what I've read...
  11. OaktonDave

    14 Arrested at PSU for major cocaine trafficking ring at 2 fraternities...

    The other fraternity that had that rep was known as "pink elephant" - don't recall the actual name. (Edit: I looked it up - Delta Sigma Phi.)
  12. OaktonDave

    Lion & Cub will become Rally House

    I saw one for first time just off the Cincinnati campus when I was there for my nephew's graduation. It was all UC Bearcats stuff.
  13. OaktonDave

    The guy that played Will Riker on Star Trek: The Next Generation went to Penn State???

    Patrick Fabian, who played Howard Hamlin on Better Call Saul, is also a PSU grad.
  14. OaktonDave

    “Silver considering all remedies for rampant tanking in NBA”

    When the league became more focused on marketing individual superstars than teams and rivalries it became much less interesting. The era of the great rivalry between Bird's Celtics and Magic's Lakers was awesome and produced compelling games. Even the MJ era still had teams and superstars...
  15. OaktonDave

    Great SI article - How Terry Smith's Role Has Changed, and Even Grown, at Penn State

    If Campbell plays his cards right, lets Terry help him the navigate the challenges of a portion of the letterman, alumni, and fanbase that have never gotten over the loss of JoePa, and, of course, wins, he has a chance to gain a level of acceptance that Franklin never managed.
On3

Latest

  1. 01 On3 Football 15 thoughts after Week 5: Keelon Russell becoming a star, murky SEC race & more
  2. 02 On3 Football On3 Heisman Trophy Poll: Top 10 player rankings after Week 5
  3. 03 On3 Football True Freshman Standouts from Week 5 of College Football
  4. 04 On3 Football Bob Chesney implores UCLA team to ignore Top 25 poll ranking
  5. 05 Rivals Basketball Recruiting Who has the momentum as 4-star Darius Wabbington nears decision